Hello everyone! Long time no blog! I seriously could not be more excited about this year and all it will bring! I’ve been thinking a lot about goals and what I want to accomplish in 2017. While I don’t think resolutions are for everyone, I do think it is always good to set goals for the new year and strive to improve yourself through those goals.
- Read at least 1 book a month. – When I was younger, I used to read all the time! Junie B Jones, The Magic Tree House, you name it, I read it! As I got into my high school years I got busy with school. Since I read so much for my classes, I found myself wanting to do other things in my spare time. I got more into things like YouTube and keeping up with my favorite television series. Now, there certainly isn’t anything wrong with watching television or YouTube videos. What I really want to strive for is a balance between these interests. I know that love for reading is still there! While I did read a few books in 2016 I really want to bring that number up in 2017. I thought having myself read at least a book a month would give me just enough encouragement without putting pressure on myself.
- Take better care of myself. – 2016 was a very rough year for me as far as my mental health went. I realized that there were many times when I was so focused on work and my grades that I didn’t even take time for myself. I then became very anxious and honestly just didn’t feel like myself. Now, I want to make sure I focus on myself before anything else.
- Focus more on my relationship with God.- I’m gonna be honest with y’all. In 2016, I barely went to church. Part of me wasn’t going because of my struggle with feeling torn between my faith and my relationship with the LGBT community. Another part of me wasn’t going because sleeping in on my days off from work feels really freaking good. I want to make sure that I get in the habit of not just going to church but also studying the Bible and just making God a bigger part of my life.
- Get better with money. – In 2016, I started working at my first job. I work at a movie theatre about 3 days a week. It’s not the most glamorous job in the world but it pays and the people I work with are really nice. With this newfound biweekly paycheck of mine, I developed a bit of an online shopping problem. This year I want to save more money, while also treating myself from time to time.
- Post at least 2 blogposts and 2 YouTube videos a month. – I really hope to get back into making YouTube videos this year. It is something I enjoy but because of how time consuming it is I tend to have a hard time getting the videos done.I am going to really strive to post at least 2 post and videos each month. I also want the content I make to really reflect myself and my style. I often see a lot of the same thing on YouTube so I really want to try and be unique while also being me.
- Make new friends. – While I love my alone time and hanging out with my family I really miss having a consistent social life and This spring is my last semester at my community college. I am taking online classes so school won’t be giving me a whole lot of social opportunities. Most of my friends are made from my job at the movie theatre and since I only work a few days a week I don’t see those people that often. So this year I really want to step outside of my comfort zone to put myself in situations where I can make more friends. I also want to try and spend more time with the friends I have made at my job.
- Learn a little bit each and every day. – Finally, I want to go out of my way to learn about something that interests me outside of school. I can do this by watching a documentary on Netflix, reading a book, or even going to a museum. In this day age, it is so easy to just go through our day, take in the media that is shoved in our faces, and do it all over again the next day. So it is more important than ever to make sure we know how to think independently and learn constantly.