My Fall Essentials
So the pumpkin spice lattes are brewing and the leaf colors are changing which means it is officially fall. For some reason, it actually got cold in North Carolina which is both amazing and terrible at the same time. It is great because it means that I can now wear my favorite sweaters and boots but it sucks because of how rainy and chilly it has been! I have a very love hate relationship with fall. I love the fashion but HATE the cold!
- Cable Knit Sweaters – These sweaters are so comfy and super versatile! The cable knit pattern is so classic. I have several cable knit sweaters from Old Navy and I can honestly they some of the comfiest sweaters I have ever worn! I even wear them around the house with sweatpants and slippers.
- Basic Black Leggings – Black leggings are a staple for any wardrobe during pretty much any season, but especially for fall! These leggings are perfect for those days when you are in a hurry and don’t know what to wear! Just throw them on with a sweater and some cute boots and you are good to go!
- Riding Boots – I feel like riding boots are one of those wardrobe staples that can make any outfit look like you put way more effort into it than you actually did. These boots come in the best colors that work for literally any occasion! I wear mine all the time to everything from class to even interviews for potential jobs.
- Puffer Vests – Now, I was actually pretty resistant to buying puffer vests at first since literally every basic white girl and their grandmother wears them as soon as the slightest cold breeze comes in. Then I saw just how cute they are at J Crew. I now own 2 vests that I love and have been obsessed ever since! They are super easy to style and perfect for those days that aren’t cold enough for a jacket but too cold to go without any outerwear at all.
- Printed Quilted Puffer Vest – Printed vests have a bit more of a fancy feel to them but are just as versatile. I like to wear my striped puffer vest with leggings, a long sleeved tee, and sneakers. Throw this outfit on with your hair in a topknot and you are good to go!
- Statement Necklaces – Statement necklaces are one of those accessories that can make any outfit feel twice as fancy! This rose quartz necklace from Nordstrom is seriously so pretty! A necklace like this can dress up the most casual of outfits!
- Tote bags – Tote bags like this are great for carrying all of your belongings no matter where you go. I feel like when it is cold outside I always end up carrying even more than I usually do. This bag will work out great for carrying my scarf and beanie on those chilly school days.
- Infinity Scarves – Scarves are one of those things I seriously get so excited to wear once the weather gets cold enough for them! What is so great about infinity scarves is that they look really cute while also keeping your neck really warm! I can think of so many times when my mom would literally beg me to put on a “real scarf” that would actually keep my neck warm unlike the thin little patterned scarf I was wearing in some open style my favorite celebrity was wearing. Now I can look cute and keep myself from getting a cold!
Feel free to let me know what your fall essentials are in the comments below!
So, ever since I started blogging I have been spending even more time on my laptop than usual. When I write blogposts I can literally get into such a good headspace and just write for hours. Now, since my technical “work space” is just my messy bed that has laundry and mismatched socks all over it I have been thinking about what I would want my dream work space to look like if I could design it any way I wanted.
I knew that I wanted the look to have a very simple sophisticated feel to it. I didn’t have a specific color scheme in mind but now that the items are all picked out I feel like these light blue shades came together really nicely.
1. Blue Mosaic Teardrop Table Lamp
– Now, when I started thinking about what I wanted my dream work space I knew I wanted the space to look simple. I was hesitant to pick two items with patterns on them but I just couldn’t say no to this lamp. The pattern looks so majestic and unique. I seriously want this so bad it’s not even funny!
2. Altra Parsons Wooden Desk with Chevron Top
– This desk is so sleek and sophisticated! When it comes to clothes, I tend to have a thing for black and other dark colors.I also really like pastels like mint green. When it comes to home decor I tend to really have a thing for colors like white. I really like white because of how it can make any room look much bigger than the room really is.
3. Beats Solo2 Wireless On-Ear Headphones Gold
– Since I am on my laptop so much, I tend to listen to a lot of music and podcasts while I work on things like homework and blogposts. These headphones would be perfect for those late nights when I am listening to Drake and J.Cole on repeat to stay awake while cramming for an Algebra test.
4. Macbook with Speck “See Thru” Snap On Macbook Air Laptop Case
– Now, I know I have said that I need pretty much all of these items but this one I actually do need! I take my laptop everywhere with me and honestly I am far from careful with it. I have dropped my Macbook so many times it is not even funny. With this case, my mom might actually be able to stop having heart attacks every time I drop or almost drop my very dirty Macbook. It is very…loved, yeah let’s go with that.
5. Fallon Wool Rug in Slate
– I have always had a special place in my heart for chevron so when I saw this rug I felt as if it was just calling my name. It is very casual but also a great statement piece.
6. Harper Dining Chair
– I feel like this chair would make me feel like I am 10 times fancier than I actually am. It’s simplicity really helps balance everything out especially since the rug and lamp have patterns on them.
So, this is what I would want my dream work space to look like. This space probably wouldn’t be that big but I would still want it to be very cozy and feel like home.
Make sure to let me know what you would want your dream work space to look like in the comments below. Also, if you’re looking for a creative workspace outside of your home check out WeWork, the online publication that inspired me to write this post in the first place! They’ve got shared office space all over the world, enabling freelancers, startups and many more to work in a collaborative work environment!
Recently my mom and I went to a local food festival that showcased all the independent restaurants in our area. I had only read about it the night before online and honestly only went because I wanted something to do. We actually ended up having a lot of fun!
Top – TJ Maxx( similar), Jeans – Lauren Conrad; Kohls, Bag – Old Navy( similar), Shoes – Jack Rogers, Necklace – Earthbound Trading, Tumbler – Michaels; Betsey Johnson
Now as cute as this outfit is wearing my Jacks was a huge mistake! It had rained the night before so the grass was super muddy! So now my favorite pair of sandals that are worth over a hundred dollars are covered in mud. Yeah, I’m still kicking myself in the foot over that one.
Other than the muddy grass, we actually ended up having really good weather. It was so warm and sunny the entire day!
Literally, all of the food samples were so good! As someone who is pescatarian, I was worried my options would be limited but that was certainly not the case.
One of the first places we went to was one of the more mainstream restaurants. On the Border served us this hard taco with salsa and Mexican rice. My favorite thing about this dish was surprisingly the rice. It was really good! In the past, I have found seasoned Mexican rice dishes to be too strong but this one was just right.
This tomato pie was hands down my favorite dish! Tomatoes are one of my favorite vegetables so when I saw that this was being served I knew I had to give it a try. This pie basically consists of tomatoes, mayonnaise, inside a warm cheddar biscuit. It was so seriously so good! I was literally scraping the container for more!
This root beer from The Mash House Brewing Company was so good! This was my first time trying real root beer and I must say I am a fan! It was very strong so I had to take little sips. I would definitely drink this again!
This was my first time going to this type of festival. I went in thinking I would have an ok experience. I ended up having a great experience and will gladly go again next year!
So, recently, my mom and I went to see the Intern. This movie is basically about a retired old man named Ben Wittaker who signs up for a senior internship program as a way to fill up his free time who that he is widowed and not working. He ends up working for Jules Ostin, the founder of an online fashion site startup website.
The movie definitely did a good job of showing the difference between Ben and Jules’s generations and age groups. A lot of Jules’s fellow young employees would ask Ben questions that showed they doubted him because of his age. They would often speak in a louder vocal tone because they thought he couldn’t hear and give him lighter loads of work to do since they at first thought he couldn’t handle it. Yet, they actually ended up learning a lot from him, not just about work and professionalism but also just life in general. It was really interesting seeing them do this because a lot of the things they said seemed like things I would also say. That as definitely a bit of a reality for me. It made me realize that even though I am not around elderly people that often I shouldn’t look down on them or think of them as these crippled helpless beings just because they are older than me. As far as acting goes, I thought all of the actors and actresses were amazing! They all did a really good job of making their characters seem very interesting but also really down to earth and relatable.
Now, although this movie had a lot of things I really enjoyed there were definitely some things I would have changed if I could have. First let’s start with the lack of diversity. There was literally one person of color in the entire movie and that one person didn’t even have a speaking part! They had one scene which was very short. There may have been a few people of color in the background but I still feel the film could have done a lot better as far as including a more diverse group of people. Now, I will move on to the lack of LGBT characters in the film. The only person I can think of is Jules’s right hand assistant who was basically a walking stereotype of the gay best friend. We don’t ever find out if he is actually gay but he acts very much like the stereotypical flamboyant gay man that is so often portrayed in the media. I found it very disappointing to see a character like that in a day and age where we as a society are trying so hard to stray away from stereotypical roles like that.
Overall, this is definitely a movie I would recommend. It isn’t the best movie I have seen all year by any means but I did really enjoy watching it. This movie definitely one you should see with either your parents or your grandparents. They can probably relate to Ben Wittaker as a character quite a lot.
If you saw the movie and feel you have something to add or have any questions you would like to ask feel free leave a comment below!